4 cups of Kale – chopped
1 carrot – jullianed
1 cucumber – sliced
1/4 cup red quinoa
3/4 cup water
dried parsley flakes
(this will make 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa)
juice of 1/2 a lemon
3-4 tbsp EVOO
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tbsp dried parsley flakes or any other herb of your choice
- Boil 3/4 cup of water in a small pot, while the water comes to a boil, rinse the quinoa in a mesh strainer and then add to the simmering water. Add salt and dried parsley flakes, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked.
- Cut the veggies.
- Take the juice from 1/2 lemon in a small bowl and whisk in the EVOO, add salt, pepper, cumin and parsley and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add kale and toss all the veggies, quinoa and salad dressing.
- Serve with croutons and shaved parmesan cheese.
- You can also serve a fried, poached or boiled egg over the salad.